Bible Passage: Genesis 1:31-2:3
- Describe a time when you felt truly rested.
- Read Genesis 1:21–2:3. This is the only time in scripture God blesses something that is not a human being. Why do you think this language of blessing might be used on the day of rest?
- Read Number 6:22–27. Why might God want all the people to be marked by his name using a blessing? How has God’s blessing upon someone else helped you grow in your faith?
- Read Matthew 5:3–11. In Jesus “blessed list” we find several circumstances that would not count as blessing from our present #blessed standards. What does each of these circumstances have in common in our relationship to God?
- Read Matthew 6:25–33. How might Jesus’ teaching on worry and the blessing of the sabbath rest connect together?
- What is one area of your life in which the blessing of rest can help you let go and receive from God.
Gracious God, You have designed us to live a balanced life of work and rest. You gave us the blessing of sabbath day and invited us to draw close to you and each other. We confess that we have not followed the rhythms of life you designed. We fill our schedules and lives with busyness that keep us from deeply connecting with you and each other. Forgive us and help us to carve out space in our lives to receive your life giving rest. Amen.