Serving at Church
Serving at Shepherd means joining in our mission to love God and neighbors by showing care to those inside Shepherd’s walls. It means helping others feel welcomed, noticed, and important. By sharing your gifts of hospitality, friendship, and empathy, you can be the love of Jesus to each person who walks through our doors. Training is always provided.
Greeters | Provide hospitality by welcoming people at the entrances. Scheduled 2 weeks on with 4 weeks off.
Ushers | Welcome people to worship, count the number of attendees, help seat people, and guide them to communion. Scheduled 2 weeks on with 4 weeks off.
Communion | Set up, serve, and take down communion. First Sunday of the month.
Ready to help kids grow in faith? The sovKids team is always looking for enthusiastic teens and adults to get involved! Some roles available include,
- Drama Team
- Tech Team
- Special Friend to a child with special needs
- Discovery Team & Prep (crafts and games)
- Vacation Bible School (summer)
- Welcome and Security Team
- Nursery Team
- Surge Worship Band
- Small Group Leader, Assistant, Sub, or Coach
Ready to help students grow in faith? Get involved with The Circuit and make a difference in the life of a young person. Some roles available include:
- Small Group Leader | Our small group leaders are a vital component at Circuit. Many students tell us their favorite part of Circuit is small group time. Leaders meet weekly with their small group to discuss that week’s message at Circuit, dig into the Bible, and pray for one another (Weekly, Sep – May)
- Welcome Team | The Impressions team greets students as they arrive at Circuit on Wednesday nights and assist with student check-in. This is a great opportunity to serve in a vital role at Circuit, on a smaller scale (2 times per month).
- Hospitality Team | Volunteers assist in putting out a light meal for our adult leaders, before Circuit begins on Wednesdays. Most meal prep is done ahead of time, and ready for the hospitality team to set-up at 5 pm (2 times per month).
- Snack Shack | Volunteers work in the kitchen, selling pizza, treats and sodas to students during Circuit gathering time. Snack shack volunteers track purchases and place orders to replenish supplies (2 times per month).
- Other Opportunities | Contact Kari Kahl to hear about additional serving opportunities that help to power the many events that happen outside of Circuit. Adult volunteers are needed for mission trip preparations, fundraising events, retreats and more. Let’s talk!
Intercessory Prayer Team | This dedicated team covers Shepherd and its ministry partners in prayer on a regular basis and in the moment as needs arise. Receive monthly prayers and immediate needs via email and pray from anywhere.
Serve and/or bring food for funerals; serve as needed.
We believe spiritual growth happens as we serve others by putting their needs above our own.
Serving in the Community
Serving the Community means joining in our mission to love God and our neighbors by showing care to those outside of Shepherd’s walls. It means coming alongside people and organizations already making a difference in our own communities and beyond to support them in their goal of serving people who are hurting, under-resourced, or in need of support.
Dwelling Place | Dwelling Place provides care and support including housing for victims of domestic abuse.
Grace Place | Grace Place offers shelter to homeless families and single individuals in the St. Croix River Valley. Volunteers provide meals, activities, administration, fundraising, and much more.
Hope for the Journey Home | A ministry for families who are experiencing homelessness for the first time. HJH is a ministry of Guardian Angels Catholic Church along with St. Andrew’s Lutheran Church in Mahtomedi and more than 30 churches in Washington and suburban Ramsey counties.
Union Gospel Mission | The Mission helps people rebuild their lives by providing safe shelter, nutritious food, medical and dental care, and a broad variety of life-changing programs for children and adults. The mission has opportunities for mentorship, serving meals and more!
Godtown | People are invited to join a team of local missionaries in the Frogtown neighborhood of St. Paul to bring hope through residential and spiritual reclamation. There are many ways to get involved, including a food distribution program, community garden, prayer nights, construction projects, and neighborhood outreach activities
Operation Help | Operation HELP provides residents of St. Croix County with financial assistance, a place for personal support, and connections to community resources to alleviate short-term economic crises. Volunteers needed for office administration, meeting with guests, and helping with events.
Valley Outreach | Variety of ways to volunteer to help meet the needs of people in our community with food, clothing, and more.
Hudson Backpack Program | Variety of ways to serve during both the school year and summer. Serving ideas include volunteering for their distribution, collecting food, and so much more!
Loaves and Fishes | Prepare and serve an evening meal to those in need; serves the 1st Wednesday of each month. Loaves and Fishes does not serve in March or September. Contact Caitlin Ronayne to volunteer!
Hope Academy | Hope Academy is a school that is focused on providing a Christ- Centered education to youth in inner-city Minneapolis. The school’s goal is to foster hope in kids so that they have the opportunity to reach their potential and become who God created them to be. Their website has many ways that you can be involved.
Young Life | Shepherd supports the Woodbury chapter of young life. Volunteer opportunities available with students or behind the scenes!
Compassion International | Sponsor a child living in poverty around the world. Through sponsorship, kids are financially supported and are able to learn all about the Love of Christ!
Sandy Bay Lighthouse Ministries | Sandy Bay is a children’s home in Roatan, Honduras that Shepherd has supported for many years. Sponsorship helps the children’s home provide an education and a safe home for the children as they get to know Jesus and grow to be leaders in their community.
Shepherd Quilting Team | Create quilts for Lutheran World Relief to be distributed to those in need around the world. Meets the 1st Tuesday of each month. Contact Cathy Colman
Shepherd Prayer Shawl Ministry | Create shawls that are provided at times when a tangible reminder of God’s love is needed. Knitting or crochet lessons are available. Contact Julie Asp
Arrive Ministries | Christian nonprofit organization dedicated to the cause of the refugee and immigrant. Arrive empowers local churches to welcome and serve displaced refugees who resettle in Minnesota. Shepherd currently has two Refugee Life Ministries small groups walking alongside a Congolese family.
Somali Adult Literacy Training (SALT Program) | Share Jesus with our Somali neighbors through literacy and friendship. Our Somali neighbors have escaped civil war violence and extreme hardship in refugee camps. Now they are learning English, how to survive Minnesota weather and to thrive in our economy.