Serving at Shepherd
Serving at Shepherd means joining in our mission to love God and neighbors by showing care to those inside Shepherd’s walls. It means helping others feel welcomed, noticed, and important. By sharing your gifts of hospitality, friendship, and empathy, you can be the love of Jesus to each person who walks through our doors. Training is always provided.
Greeters | Provide hospitality by welcoming people at the entrances. Scheduled 2 weeks on with 4 weeks off.
Ushers | Welcome people to worship, count the number of attendees, help seat people, and guide them to communion. Scheduled 2 weeks on with 4 weeks off.
Communion | Set up, serve, and take down communion. First Sunday of the month.
Choir | Make music with others and bring beauty to worship. Rehearsals Wednesdays 6:30-8:00pm. Various participation options here.
Ready to help kids grow in faith? The sovKids team is always looking for enthusiastic teens and adults to get involved! Some roles available include,
- Drama Team
- Tech Team
- Special Friend to a child with special needs
- Discovery Team & Prep (crafts and games)
- Vacation Bible School (summer)
- Welcome and Security Team
- Nursery Team
- Surge Worship Band
- Small Group Leader, Assistant, Sub, or Coach
Ready to help students grow in faith? Get involved with The Circuit and make a difference in the life of a young person. Some roles available include:
- Small Group Leader | Our small group leaders are a vital component at Circuit. Many students tell us their favorite part of Circuit is small group time. Leaders meet weekly with their small group to discuss that week’s message at Circuit, dig into the Bible, and pray for one another (Weekly, Sep – May)
- Welcome Team | The Impressions team greets students as they arrive at Circuit on Wednesday nights and assist with student check-in. This is a great opportunity to serve in a vital role at Circuit, on a smaller scale (2 times per month).
- Hospitality Team | Volunteers assist in putting out a light meal for our adult leaders, before Circuit begins on Wednesdays. Most meal prep is done ahead of time, and ready for the hospitality team to set-up at 5 pm (2 times per month).
- Snack Shack | Volunteers work in the kitchen, selling pizza, treats and sodas to students during Circuit gathering time. Snack shack volunteers track purchases and place orders to replenish supplies (2 times per month).
- Other Opportunities | Contact Kari Kahl to hear about additional serving opportunities that help to power the many events that happen outside of Circuit. Adult volunteers are needed for mission trip preparations, fundraising events, retreats and more. Let’s talk!
Intercessory Prayer Team | This dedicated team covers Shepherd and its ministry partners in prayer on a regular basis and in the moment as needs arise. Receive monthly prayers and immediate needs via email and pray from anywhere.
We believe spiritual growth happens as we serve others by putting their needs above our own.
Serving in the Community
Serving the Community means joining in our mission to love God and our neighbors by showing care to those outside of Shepherd’s walls. It means coming alongside people and organizations already making a difference in our own communities and beyond to support them in their goal of serving people who are hurting, under-resourced, or in need of support.
Hope for the Journey Home | A ministry for families who are experiencing homelessness. Volunteers are needed to donate supplies, prepare & serve dinner to residents, and staff an overnight shift.
Union Gospel Mission | The Mission helps people rebuild their lives by providing safe shelter, nutritious food, medical and dental care, and a broad variety of life-changing programs for children and adults. The mission has opportunities for mentorship, serving meals and more!
Valley Outreach | Valley Outreach provides people with a wide range of support including food, clothing, rental assistance and help navigating resources during a challenging time. Volunteers are needed to help with food shelf duties as well as with the clothing program.
Hudson Backpack Program | Provides fresh, frozen and shelf stable food for people experiencing food insecurity. Ways to serve include packing food for distribution and helping to load cars during distribution.
Loaves and Fishes | This ministry serves free, healthy meals at St. Matthews Church in St. Paul. Volunteers from Shepherd prepare, serve and clean up the dinner meal the first Wednesdays of the month. To be part of the group that is notified when help is needed, click HERE
Community Care Team | Team of people helping others within the Shepherd community. Opportunities to serve include providing rides to appointments, making and delivering meals to people, and being notified when ministry partners need volunteers. Help as your schedule allows. Click here to join.
Shepherd Quilting Team | Create quilts for LWR and other ministry partners while enjoying fellowship with one another. To find out when the team meets, contact Cathy Colman
Shepherd Prayer Shawl Ministry | Create shawls that are provided at times when a tangible reminder of God’s love is needed. Knitting or crochet lessons are available. To find out when the team meets, contact Julie Asp